Tuesday, July 28, 2009

txt

what did we do before cell phones? more importantly, what did we do before texting?

i can think back to a time when texting was forbidden in my household. why? because it was 10 cents a text! sending or recieving, it all cost a nice shiny dime, or two nickles, which ever you had. even 10 pennies. you had to make sure ever text was worth it. there was nothing more irriating than a one word text. it was like, seriously? i just paid 10 cents for that?! ten more of those and i could have purchased something from the dollar bin at target! (well, i guess back then target hadn't come up with the dollar bins yet. so no huge loss. but still, 10 cents!) sometimes, i could get away with not opening the message and just guess what the person on the other end of the text message was trying to say by the first 3 or 4 words of the text. it was really difficult and often times i was wrong. i could only get away with 3 or four text messages and responses without my parents noticing a surplus on their monthly cell phone bill.

cell phone providers finally got smart and stopped charging per text and created texting plans. really, if you're going to do any text plan, you might as well do unlimited. those little messages will get out of hand before you know it. you might think you won't use over 1000. but you will. usually the people that think they wont, do. anyways, once unlimited texting plans were created, a while new world was opened up to the human race. a new stream of communication.

now, i could do what i usually do and research this topic to death and present a bunch of facts that support my point. maybe even create a few controversial arguments about how texting is degenerating the art of communication as we know it, but i'm too lazy to do it today and i'm about to be on my lunch break. so i'll just say this:

texting is my link to the outside world when i am in the office stuck answering phones! without texting i would die of information starvation. without texting my social sphere would shatter around me and cause me to become awkward and unfriendly. my boss should be pleased with my desire to stay up to date on current events and have something to chit chat with the patients about. otherwise. i would lose my edge and be useless as a receptionist/front desk office assistant. with texting, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. You are so funny! I love that you were born! I'll always be your biggest fan!

    ReplyDelete